CEKAL TEGUH SDN BHD v. MAHKAMAH PERUSAHAAN MALAYSIA & ORS

[2019] 2 MLRH 509

CEKAL TEGUH SDN BHD v. MAHKAMAH PERUSAHAAN MALAYSIA & ORS
High Court Malaya, Kuala Lumpur
Nordin Hassan J
[Application For Judicial Review No: WA-25-226-09-2018]
16 January 2019

JUDGMENT

Nordin Hassan J:

Introduction

[1] This is the applicant's judicial review application, among others, for an order of certiorari to quash the 1st respondent's decision dated 13 August 2018. The decision of the 1st respondent is in favour of the 2nd to 7th respondents in their claims for constructive dismissal against the applicant.

The Salient Facts

[2] The relevant facts gathered from the affidavits and documents before this court are the following:

(i) Cekal Teguh Sdn Bhd, the applicant, is a company incorporated and having its business in Malaysia. It has a total issued shares of 100,000 where 99,999 of the shares held by Tan Sri Halim bin Saad ('Tan Sri Halim') and the remaining one share is held by Meor Othman bin Meor Lope, the applicant's Managing Director.

(ii) In 2014, Tan Sri Halim had decided to construct a Methanol Plant in the Republic of Kazakhstan ('the project').

(iii) In this regard, Tan Sri Halim has agreed to appoint Datuk Syed Othman bin Abu Bakar, the 2nd respondent, as Project Director and 2nd respondent in turn had invited 3rd to 7th respondents as team members of the project.

(iv) On 11 March 2014, Tan Sri Halim had signed a document which confirms the appointment of all the respondents in the project. The document also states, among others, the position of each respondent, commencement dates, duration, salary, annual leave, medical insurance, travel claims and on-site benefits. In this document, it further states that the 2nd and 7th respondents (collectively 'the respondents') to commence their employment on 18 March 2014.

(v) Thereafter, on 17 April 2014, Tan Sri Halim incorporated Khazakhtan Methanol Limited ('KML') in Hong Kong. Tan Sri Halim held 25% of the ordinary shares of KML and the remaining 75% held by Markmore Energy (Hong Kong) Limited, a company controlled by Tan Sri Halim.

(vi) The fees and other related expenses for the incorporation and setting up of KML were paid by the applicant. KML head office is also located at the same building with the applicant's office which is at the Boulevard Mid Valley City, Lingkaran Syed Putra, Kuala Lumpur.

Sign up to view full cases Login